EXPORTING – GETTING AN EORI NUMBERJan 07 2021
From 1 January 2021 you need an EORI number to move goods between the UK and the EU.
You can apply for your EORI number in advance. It can take up to a week to get one.
You will not usually need an EORI number if you:
- Provide services
- Move goods between Northern Ireland and Ireland
- If you use a post or parcel company, they will tell you if you need an EORI number.
You will need an EU EORI number if your business will be making customs declarations or getting a customs decision in the EU. You can get this from the customs authority in the EU country where you submit your first declaration or request your first decision.
IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AN EORI
From 1 January 2021 you’ll need an EORI number that starts with GB to move goods to or from the UK. Check your EORI number. Apply for a new one if yours does not start with GB.
BEFORE YOU APPLY
To apply you may need your:
- VAT number and effective date of registration – these are on your VAT registration certificate
- National Insurance number – if you are an individual or a sole trader
- Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)
- Business start date and Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code – these are in the Companies House register
- Government Gateway user ID and password
If you need a Government Gateway user ID, use either:
- The one for your business or organisation
- Your own if you are applying as an individual
If you do not already have a user ID, you’ll be able to create one when you apply. To apply for an EORI number, please click here.